SAP/Sybase doesn’t officially support running SCC on Windows 8. This seems to be more of an issue with the InstallShield installer. Seriously, why do people still use InstallShield??
If you try installing SCC 3.2x on Windows 8, you’ll get a nasty error when you run setup.exe or setupconsole.exe:
You *can* install and run SCC 3.2.x on Windows 8 if you are willing to run the 32bit version of SCC. You will need to install Microsoft C++ 2005 SP1 x86.
Next, open a cmd.exe as Administrator and run “setup.exe -i gui”
The issue is the LanmanServer service runs out of memory. We need to boost that up:
On your Windows machine, fire up regedit (Start -> regedit) modify the following registry keys:
“HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache” from 0 to 1
“HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size” from 1 to 3
The problem seems to manifest itself more frequently if you use your Windows box as a file server or a media server. If you can, restart the Windows box. If for some reason you can’t (e.g. your significant other is watching a video on the tv streaming from your Windows box), then you can do effectively the same by restarting the following services:
(Start -> cmd.exe) as administrator
>net stop LanmanServer /y
> net start LanmanServer
> net start Browser
> net start HomeGroupListener
It may not be commonly known, but Embarcadero’s DBArtisan (a database management tool) will NOT work with Openclient 15. Did you know that there is a way for you to enjoy Openclient v15 and DBArtisan? This will allow you to retain the system wide settings for v15 of Sybase Openclient:
- You need to install v12.5 Openclient (or just copy the %SYBASE% directory from a machine with Openclient v12.5 installed).
- Create a text file called DBArtisan.cmd , replacing the paths and the name of the dbartisan executable as necessary:
start "C:\Program Files\Embarcadero\DBA813" DBArt813.exe
- Create a short cut to the DBArtisan.cmd file with the right clicking on the file and choosing "Create Shortcut"
- If you want the shortcut to use the same icon as DBArtisan:
- right click on the file, choose "Properties"
- "Change Icon"
- Replace text with "%ProgramFiles%\Embarcadero\DBA813\DBArt813.exe" or wherever your DBArtisan executable is
- Choose the icon and hit "OK"